Sunday, December 11, 2022

Write, Don, Write!

As I was preparing for my two recently published books, "The Spacious Heart" and "Coming of Age in Honduras," I spent many hours in coffee shops during my morning hours, and in the Library at Eastern Mennonite University in the afternoon. I would do research in the library and write in the coffee shops. Many of my colleagues and former students would approach me in these areas and ask me what I am doing. "I'm writing," I would answer. 

 I never expected to be a writer. But after publishing four books (one in collaboration with my sister Sharon) to accolades from readers, eight articles in "The Mennonite" and three in the peer-reviewed "Presence, a Journal for Spiritual Directors" I got the sense that I must be a writer. All of the articles in "The Mennonite" were from incredible experiences I had while leading cross-cultural groups of EMU students to Guatemala and Mexico, and as a chaplain to Spanish-speaking people at the local hospital. Since I am retired, I haven't been blessed with such experiences. I am finding it difficult to be motivated by writing. 

Whenever I run into former colleagues or students at coffee shops nowadays, they invariably ask me if I am writing. I am embarrassed to say that I am not. I do not have any particular topic about which to write. 

Several months ago, through a recommendation from a friend, my wife Esther gifted me with a subscription to the program "Storyworth." It is a program that prompts me to write something about my life experiences each week. This is not writing for publication to a wider audience, but mostly for my friends and family.

This afternoon I was writing a chapter for Storyworth, and I became quite engrossed. Reflecting on my feelings, I realized the fact that I NEED to write for my mental health. Time stands still--I enter "kairos time" when I am writing. While reading is fun, as are other activities in which I've participated since my retirement, none are as fulfilling for me as writing. Many of my retired friends volunteer for many different worthy organizations, including renovating our church fellowship hall. I admire them, but for me, I have come to the conclusion that I've got to continue writing as a way to fulfill my calling as a retiree. 

None of my books have sold a lot of copies, but the joy I've received from writing them far exceeds any profits I might make. It doesn't hurt that publishing houses have thought my writing was worthy of printing. Indeed, I would like for more people to read what I write, not to earn money from it, but to sense that my ideas and writing are relevant. It is SO helpful to get feedback from my readers, no matter how few have read them. So if you have read something that I have written, and have something to share with me, please comment below. 

So, write, Don, write!

No comments:

Post a Comment