Monday, October 5, 2020

Letter From Reader

I received this letter from a reader of my book Coming of Age in Honduras:

Hello Don, 

I wanted to share with you a few things I really enjoyed about your book!

First, the story itself was just interesting. Your job as a sort of "circuit accountant" for credit unions was not the one I was imagining - I thought you'd have been building shelters / digging latrines the whole time. 

Second, I so admire how forthright you were (and are) about your varying levels of uncertainty with your faith, and how that juxtaposed with the connection you felt toward your Mennonite church family and culture throughout. Related to this were your unanswered questions about poverty and how we should respond to it. It was interesting, and it was inspiring. I grew up Christian but these days I lament the "moral dualism" and self-and-other discrimination that was front-and-center to my previous Christian communities. In your story, as your own faith ebbs and flows I feel like "hey, this guy is a sinner like me." Christianity has a lot more to offer the world than moral dualism and discrimination. I think your book helps to show what that might look like. 

Third, I think you were brave to put "sexuality" in the title and to talk about your romantic/sexual thoughts, feelings, and experiences during this time. Of course it would be weird if a 19-20 year old guy didn't experience this dimension, but I like that you confront it head on and it adds to the genuineness of the story and the "whole person" you are trying to present. Along the lines of my previous comment, I think it shows how a faith journey includes this dimension of life, too!

I read the book all in one day - I just couldn't wait to read what happened next! 

Anyway, thanks for writing! Good luck with your next (or current) project...!!

Jody


Book can be purchased at: Masthof Press

Or

 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the above response. For you to share so deeply in your writing invites us all to dig deeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply! Those were certainly my intentions!

      Delete