Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Comments on "Coming of Age in Honduras"


I've received over 15 comments on my book from family and friends who have read it. It has been gratifying for me how many have taken the time to comment. Something about the book reasonated with them in some way. This is the hope of every author! Below are some of the comments:

Many ex-volunteers, or people who had lived abroad, especially in underdeveloped countries, identified my story with theirs. The wrestling with poverty and faith were especially strong. It was also a walk down memory lane for many. 

Most identified it as a good read. Kept them engaged as they read.

Several wrote about the "vivid" pictures I painted with my writing. "I could imagine with my mind's eye the scenes and the people you describe."

Several couldn't believe that I could remember so well things that had taken place so many years ago (Over 50 to be exact). 

One reader chuckled as they remembered the 60s and how the cultural milieu deeply influenced us.

Some struggled with my Conscientious Objector position, others admired my strong ethical stance to the temptations I faced. One thought I portrayed myself as too innocent. One thanked me for remembering the ramifications of  people my age who had to go to war in Vietnam. 

One thought that the book was a "delightful combination of analysis and narration." In other words, I painted a historical/analytical backdrop for my stories. 

One reader was the widow of one of my companions and was grateful for some new insights on her deceased husband's work while in Honduras.

One reader with a Latino background said that my description of Latino culture was "spot on." 

Some readers called me adventurous. 

Several readers couldn't believe the amount of responsibilities I had as a 19-year old; work in the credit unions, building of a chick starter house,  an addition to the house we lived in, and preaching in Spanish.  

These comments are extremely gratifying for an author. Many times we feel like we are writing in a vacuum, so when our work touches someone, it makes the expended energy worthwhile. Thank yo to those who took the time to write. I hope to hear from more of you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment