Friday, September 4, 2020

Foreword to Honduras Memoir


Forew
ord

This memoir is about the two and a quarter year period of my life that I spent in Honduras as a volunteer with a voluntary service (VS) program of Eastern Mennonite Missions (EMM). At the time, the organization was known as Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (EMBMC). I was 19 years old when I left and returned four months before my 21st birthday. My stint in Honduras covered a period from January 1968 to April 1970.

 

The United States was embroiled in a seemingly endless war in Vietnam at the time. Every 18-year old male had to register with United States Armed Forces and be subject to a subsequent draft; it was obligatory. We all knew that we would be drafted to serve for two years at around age 19. All my high school friends and classmates had to prepare for this upcoming event. Not only did the males have to think about this eventuality, but the young women who were in a relationship with a young man also had to prepare for what this unavoidable reality would do to their relationship. 

 

I registered as a conscientious objector (CO). This meant that I was opposed to serving in the Armed Forces in any capacity. This was the position of the Mennonite Church, of which I was a member. The United States government recognized the Mennonite Church as a “historic peace church” because they had theological positions on peace and nonresistance that dated back to the 16th Century. Members of historic peace churches were granted an exemption from serving in the Armed Forces, but they still had to serve for two years of what was called “alternative service.” These alternative service programs had to be approved by the US government. The VS program in Honduras was one such program. During this journey, my Mennonite beliefs were put to the test. Nevertheless, this period really solidified my theological views of peace and nonresistance: that Jesus is the “Prince of Peace” and that his teachings and life are pivotal to Christian life and faith.

 

The memories contained in this book are my memories; mine alone. Other people may remember the story differently, or they may have lived through the same experience while coming to different conclusions. Memory is admittedly highly selective, and we are often gentler on ourselves than we would have been on other people who are experiencing the same thing. I apologize in advance for the times that I have committed this error.


Nevertheless, the memories that I relate in this memoir are ones that made a profound impact on me and have indelibly shaped my life. My worldview was expanded, my faith was stretched, and my innocence was shattered. Some of my stories may be shocking to some readers, but I share them to give a complete picture of what I experienced.  

 

I hope these stories will give the reader insights into how a CO experienced the time of obligatory draft in the USA. I am of the opinion that the Mennonite Church was greatly impacted from what happened to COs of that time. At my 50th High School anniversary, classmate after classmate shared how their service had impacted them. Although many of our youth still serve, because it is not obligatory, many do not. Our current generation of young people are missing out on some incredible adventures and life-changing experiences. More importantly, the church is missing the insights of these changed individuals returning to their pews. I hope that sharing my experiences will open a window into that tumultuous period of time. I want to challenge my readers to share a period of time with marginalized peoples wherever they may be found, “in the name of Christ.”

 

For my Latin American readers, I acknowledge that these memories are from a U.S. American perspective, despite how much I was changed through my time alongside you. You have taught me an incredible amount about your history, your culture, and your language. Through your patience with me, I gained many new perceptions about the world and my personal life. I have returned to you time and again for further service, study, and teaching others about your beauty.


In addition, I gained a profession which allowed me to share what I learned from you to a much wider audience. However, because of the insights that I gained from you, I have been plagued throughout my life with a deep restlessness; a searching for deeper meaning about the world around me and the world within myself. I have had a longing for a deeper relationship with God, and a longing for a more fulfilling way to share my life with the world. I am deeply grateful for this restlessness; it has helped to remind me that I am a “stranger and a pilgrim” (Heb. 11:13) on this earth, and that I “have here no lasting city” (Hebrews 13:14). I belong to the Reign of God.


Book can be purchased here: Masthof Press 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment